This recipe is absolutely delicious and healthy. Full of vitamins and protein! Kale and leek are great winter vegetables, but hopefully spring is coming soon! I adapted this recipe from Foolproof Living – it’s a great idea for a quick meal.
- 4 eggs
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced thinly
- 4 cups kale, washed and sliced
- 1 big clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ cup Gouda cheese, grated (You can use gruyere or swiss as well)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly grounded
- 1 tablespoon butter, for gratin dish
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F Degrees. Butter the Gratin dish.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté leeks until wilted, for 7-8 minutes, in medium heat. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minute.
- Add kale and continue to sauté for 2 minutes until kale is softened.
- Gradually whisk in the half and half, stirring constantly. Let it come to a boil. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes or until it thickens. Season it salt, and pepper.
- Take it off the heat.
- Put the leeks and kale in a dish.
- Using the back of a spoon, push filling to the sides at different areas of the dish to create crevices for the the eggs.
- Crack eat individual egg into a hole.
- Sprinkle the dish with cheese.
- Bake them for 15-20 minutes until the eggs are cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.