I have been in the kitchen since I arrived home last night because I am finally on Christmas break!!! Be prepared for a flurry of posts as I attempt to create everything I have saved since August. The first baked good was for my father’s breakfast who loves oatmeal. This dish is really simple to whip up and can be made the night before. You can add in your favorite toppings like raisins, berries, coconut, nuts, etc. I just added walnuts this time around. I got the recipe from Alexandra’s Kitchen. This baked oatmeal was delicious and perfect for a winter breakfast. It was slightly sweetened by the maple syrup, comforting from the oats, and warm from the notes of cinnamon and nutmeg. I baked mine the night before and just reheated it for breakfast!
Baked Oatmeal (serves 4)
3/4 cup steel cut oatmeal
½ cup walnuts halves, toasted and chopped
1 teaspoon baking powder
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
2 cups whole milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 large egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Butter a brownie pan and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl add all of the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix until everything is incorporated.
- Pour it into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- At the 30 minute mark lower the oven temperature down to 325 degrees and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve it warm alongside fruit and enjoy!